Sunday, November 20, 2005

Quinoa and veggie soup

Inspired by the ever talented frugalveggiemama, I threw together a soup of sorts today.

I had made some veggie stock a month ago and froze it in fairly small containers. I took one out, and put it in a sauce pan to melt. Added some spices to it. Then I added some more water, maybe about a cup. Cut up a carrot and a stalk of celery. Cooked that for a few minutes then put in about a half cup of quinoa. I had bought a box from Trader Joes. I found out afterwards that I was supposed to rinse it, but there was no bitter taste, so I guess I lucked out. I also added some fresh kale leaves, chopped. I've never had kale cooked, just steamed.

I brought it to a boil, turned it down to low and simmered for 15 minutes. When I checked, the quinoa was cooked and it was a soup. However, I couldn't eat it then, I had to go pick up my partner. I took it off the heat and left the cover on.

She was late getting out as usual. So I heated it a little bit. It had absorbed some of the liquid while it was sitting. Not quite soup, not quite porridge either. Anyway, it was very tasty. I enjoyed the veggies, which all got cooked just right, not mushy. And I enjoyed the kale cooked that way as well. My partner tried a little bit and liked it.

So, quinoa and veggie soup came out pretty good. :-)

Barbara

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm blushing! Seriously though, you're on the right track. A little experimentation, take a few notes for next time and next thing you know you have a repertoire of recipes.