Sunday, June 17, 2007

Waste not, have tasty soup!

I took a page from my favorite blogger, frugalveggiemama. (Hi, Katie!)

We went to a southern food restaurant last night after a concert at church and picked up some food to go. I got fried okra and a large container of red beans and rice. The okra was fine, but the beans were mostly beans and very little rice and pretty tasteless. So, what was I to do with all those beans?

I did what Katie would do! Today I put some of the beans and rice in a sauce pan, added 1/2 cup water, put in some Braggs, onion and garlic powder, a little salt, and a small amount of cilantro paste that I had bought a month ago but hadn't tried. I heated up the soup, crushed some tortilla chips in a bowl and poured the soup over it. Very tasty! I'm going to make more with the rest of the beans for later.

Barbara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sound like a tasty soup!

Katie said...

Hi Barbara! That's awesome.