Saturday, May 26, 2007

Portland thoughts

I've been working now for two weeks. And I commute via bus every day.I've noticed a few things about my fellow Portlanders and I just had to share them.

First, people here are very polite. About 80% thank the bus driver as they leave, even if it's from the back door. When the buses are full, people automatically move back to make more room when they are standing. Men (of all ages) hang back and let women get on the bus first. And I even saw a teenage girl give up her seat to an older woman. Not elderly, but older.

Second, there are a LOT of bike commuters. On an average day, I will see at least 75 commuters along my ride.And in general, bikes, cars and buses all coexist peacefully.

Third, I am constantly amazed at the number of restaurants in Portland. I go down this one street, NW 21st ave, where on one block alone there are 4 restaurants, all full when I go past about 5:30-6pm.

I've said it here before, but I will say it again, I do love this city. Oh yeah, and roses are in bloom everywhere!!

Barbara

No comments: