Saturday, February 14, 2009

Health update

Well, I recently got diagnosed with diabetes. My A1c test came back at 11.1 which is quite high. My blood sugars were in the 250 range.

Of course my doctor wanted to put me on statins, for no apparent reason, my cholesterol is 197 which is fine. I refused. He put me on metformin, which I've stopped taking because of the side effects. I'm taking various herbals and eating a completely vegan low fat diet (Dr John McDougall's diet). It's working well, my blood sugars are down and my blood pressure is amazing.

More later.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Oh, those statins. My hubby has Type I and a few years ago had a cholesterol level of 200. His doctor wanted him on Lipitor, and the hubby said, "Nope, I'm doing diet." That was our first foray into vegan eating and I'm proud to say that he dropped 40 points in 4 months.

Stupid doctor said it wasn't enough and he should still take Lipitor. Said this while wearing Lipitor shirt, writing with Lipitor pen on Lipitor notepad.

Have since fired doctor.

Here's sending you blessing in your adventures of diabetes.